My Playlist


Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Our First Real Earthquake!

Well, we experienced our first real earthquake today. It was measured at 5.6!!! This was a real southern California quake. I was on a play date at my friend Rachel's house when everything began to shake. I didn't believe it was actually happening at first. Luckily my motherly instincts overtook my shock and I quickly grabbed my kids and ran to a door way. I don't know if that is the best thing to do now that all this controversial information is out there on what to do but...anyway we lived through it just fine and no damage has occurred (only a crooked mirror on the wall). Collin had a lot of questions about the earthquake and although he was clutching my leg during it, he told Daddy later that it was kind of fun. I was pretty scared because I had never really experienced anything like it before (unless you count the studio tour at Universal Studios, which I don't) and my heart was racing for quite a while afterward. Isabelle, my fearless child, wanted to get down and go back to normal play the second the quake stopped. We are all fine and safe and I am not scared anymore but it does make you think about emergency preparedness and how important it is. I have a lot more work to do in that area.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Merc, so glad you guys are okay! I'm sure it was totally freaky, but we're relieved you're fine. Kids are so resilient, huh?;)

Rachel Hogge said...

Hey Merci-- I've been reading your blog, but not so good at commenting. It's good to keep up with your guys. I'm glad you're all ok. Today after Justin had been home for awhile from a trip, I asked him if he had heard about the California quake, he's like "oh yeah, I was there, or at least in the air". He had just taken off when the air traffic control got on and told them to stand-by, there had just been an earthquake. Didn't seem to phase him. Isn't that a guy for you. I'm like you and would have dove into the mother hen mode to watch out for our little ones (which yours are getting so old and still so cute!) Be safe!

Anonymous said...

Merci,

Welcome to the world of shaky ground. I'm in N. Cal. and have been #'s of them, including Loma Prieta in 1989 is SF. In fact, we had a few quakes here a day ago.

Good to hear you're safe.

Melanie said...

Hey Merci!! You are a blogger!! I didn't know that!! How fun!! I will check back and read more of your posts!!

PS. - How did you Sound of Music play go??